background

Friday, July 6, 2012

Up Next...


As you probably know, I quit my "day job". About 3 months ago, in the midst of reading a challenging book with our group that was meeting weekly, and through much prayer by both of us, we decided that I needed to quit my job. I was in a position that is best described as being a square hole and I discovered I am a round peg. I realized through several events and people that I was not in the spot that best fit my God given strengths, weaknesses, personality, passions and interests. I'm grateful for the job position I have occupied over the past 3 1/2 years. I learned a lot of what to do, what not to do, and especially about myself as an employee and person. The people I got to know are irreplaceable and I know that God put me in that position through the events that got me there. Similarly, I know God's allowing me to pursue this next phase of life, as we've had complete peace about all of our decisions and actions.

Enter the pretty virtual lady above. This is my avatar to use for my new position. I'm going to be serving as the Lexington Wedding & Event Coordinator for Weekend Wedding Warriors, a company based in Louisville. I found out about the company from a friend in Louisville who is one of the coordinators. She had a baby and when we visited, she mentioned that the company was thinking of expanding into Lexington. Wes being the discerning man that he is started asking questions about the job. Wes isn't one to really feel passionate about wedding coordinating, so he obviously was asking on behalf of me. He immediately told me "hey you should do that." This was before I ever quit my job. My response was that I wasn't qualified, etc. That's code for "I don't think I can" and "I don't think I ever just fall into something awesome."

Fast forward to reading a book about taking risks in the name of Jesus! We read a book called In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, which I've mentioned previously on the blog. The premise of the book is to adjust how you view situations that arise in your life - to view them through the filter of scripture and the will of God. To see things that might seem "bad" or "scary" or "inconvenient" as opportunities instead, specifically in how God could use them in your life. And to adjust our view of failure to that which God views it. As in, we know that we can know God's strength more through our own weakness. We can trust that if we're pursuing God through our personal relationship with Him, getting to know Him, talking to Him and obeying His commands, then whatever circumstances may arise we know that good will result. God's good, not our own. Heretofore, failure can equal success if you've become more like Christ, if you shared your faith, if you developed a Christ-like characteristic, and so forth.

SO - soon after I gave my 3 months notice to my employer, the wedding coordinating company posted on Facebook that they had just started looking to partner with a coordinator in the Lexington area. And I made contact with the owner, who I had met briefly at my friend's baby shower. And we started talking. I didn't even submit a resume, telling her I didn't have one that would reflect experience pertaining to this position. We did a Skype interview that lasted like an hour and a half at a friends house while said friend watched Em for me. Then two weeks later I shadowed my first wedding. With sore feet and exhaustion, I was a little overwhelmed. But I wanted to know more. Now it's July and I've shadowed/assisted at 3 weddings and have another this weekend. I now have my super chic avatar for the website and business cards. Advertising is starting for the Lexington area.

And I feel FREE. It's unbelieveable to have the feeling that I didn't settle for what "people
say I should be doing but am instead putting all my eggs in my God basket, complete faith that whatever I do, He's got my back. I may fail. I may be terrible. We may never book a job in Lexington. But nothing will beat the feeling of taking the risk, being a little scared, but embracing the power we have knowing Whose child we are and understanding that the world we live in is temporary. God created me with certain interests, passions, personality traits and skills. And I'm super pumped to pursue something non-traditional that fits me best. Most of all, it's going to allow me to be home with Emersen and any other children we may have on a pretty full time basis. Sacrifices will be made, of course. Cable will be cancelled soon. We're cutting back on some "wants" in terms of groceries or clothes or eating out. Meal planning has already started some. Soon there will be coupon cutting. And closets will get organized. Garden will be tended. Lunches will be made. Playdates will be scheduled. Field trips planned. And lives changed, praise the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. I know I've told you in person, but I'm so happy and excited for you. God's basket is a good one. :) And you're avatar is pretty darn hot... haha!

    ReplyDelete