background

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Updates


Update #1 : Emersen is ridiculous. Daily. And we LOVE it.

Update #2: I will be leaving my current job at the end of June. I haven't finalized the date. Through much prayer and thought, then with some confirmation through circumstances, I gave a couple months notice. Ultimately, the reason for this decision/action is to pursue our goal of me being an at-home mom.What prompted the action finally was actually the book we've been going through in our connect group. It's called In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, by Mark Batterson, that offered the challenge to really rely on faith instead of risk management. Some point from the book include living in such as way that you have stories to tell about your life, to live on purpose, to seize opportunities as they present themselves, and to adjust your lens through which you view situations so as to see them as opportunities. God created us on purpose and for a purpose. The author challenges us to do a gut check on if we're really living for God's purpose or our own. Often the things God calls us to do, through His word or the interests/passions He has given us, seem like the wrong thing at the wrong time. Instead, it's through the impossible odds that it becomes obvious that anything good is from God.

Through reading the book, I had to confront the reality that we had goals that we weren't meeting and we weren't relying on God to provide a way to achieve our goal. Additionally, I'm not in a job position that I would describe as my dream job. Now, I'm sure some think this sounds idealistic or even naive to discuss a dream job or stupid to pursue your dream job despite obvious risk. I really feel that being a stay-at-home mom is my dream job, right now. If I could do anything and not have to think about money or responsibility, that is what I would do. But more than this, through my involvement in our new church, I've been introduced to the idea of a "sweet spot." The idea that God created us on purpose and for a purpose, and created us in His image, has become a reality to me through my positions at church. I am getting to be the person God created me to be, i.e. be myself, and do work in His name, and ENJOY it at the same time. This is the definition of a dream job to me. I am hoping to find some non-traditional work to do to supplement our income that will allow me to be home with Em, and Lord willing, additional children. We don't know what this looks like yet, but we've always been provided for and know this will continue.

Wes told our small group last week that he is praying big prayers in this situation. He is praying that there will be a job I love beyond my wildest dreams. He is praying that we will learn about our priorities and goals through this situation. He is praying for big things for our family. I love this man.


Update #3: Emersen is 18 months old now! We had her check up today with the doctor I've come to appreciate at PAA - Dr. Hood. Em was AMAZING at the doctor today. The past few times that she has been, she started crying as soon as she got behind the door. Today the big girl stood on the scale herself (well baby doll helped), and was awesome being measured, waiting, and didn't cry until she actually received her shot. What a champ!

Weight: 27 lbs (83%)
Height: 34 1/2 inches (97%)

Yes, my 18 month old is almost 3 feet tall. Wow. We talked with the doctor about talking and verbal development. Emersen has been adding words at a much faster rate the past 2 weeks or so. In her vocab currently:

mama
dadda
gaga (my mom)
pappap (my dad)
gigi (great grandma)
ruff (sound dog makes)
quack quack (sound duck makes)
ooh ooh aah aah (sound monkey makes)
E I O (sound old macdonald makes)
dots (polka dots)
clock (points to it)
bye bye
night night
ice (says when she hears the ice maker)
grass
Jesus
down
yes
pee pee
go go
garbage (when there is a diaper to throw away)
uh oh (probably like 50 times a day)

At this age, Dr. Hood says its normal for them to have their own word for items. Items that she has words for that I can't spell/say:
down please
help please
diaper
blanket
up
please
thank you
airplane
jellybean

She still signs "please" and "more" for the most part. But she understands almost everything. I'm AMAZED regularly by what she comprehends. And she is mimicing much more these days. Push ups, sit ups, putting on earrings, rubbing hands together, eating, cleaning ears, putting on lotion.

Other weird/funny things she does: when someone besides Wes or I pick her up when she asks to be picked up, she points to her shoes to show the person. She often kisses others on the lips. She likes to watch our cars leave the driveway from the front sidelight windows. She helps my mom with laundry by taking clothes out of the dryer. She is still afraid of the vaccuum cleaner, and maybe the salad spinner. But she didn't hesitate in touching a wooly worm. She's on the fence about stickers. We're working on her running skills, but let's be honest, if she got my genes, she's probably out of luck.

I think that covers enough for now. Had to make up for not posting for a week. I was without a camera battery for a while, but have it back. I'll have pictures soon.

Oh and about the picture of Em on a potty. She's showing interest so we're going to start working with her on potty training ready-ness. Doing pull up diapers. Letting her pee without a diaper to learn what peeing is and that she doesn't like to do it on herself. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment