background

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Kiddie Book Review

No, not a book review by the kiddo, but a review of a book for kids.


This book has an interesting premise. The author, growing up as a child, had a quilt of Bible stories. Someone had quilted her a blanket and the various squares/pieces included pictures depicting Bible stories. I think this is a super cute idea! What a great way to always have the Bible in front of you in a way that appeals to kids, big and small. I hope to find a way to do something like this for Emersen. 

The author wanted to recreate the pieces of her quilt in book format to tell the story of the creation. To be honest, when I got the book, I was disappointed to find that it wasn't a board book. I ordered it because it was hardback, but the pages are typically book pages. Which is fine unless you have a toddler - they're not quite graceful enough for thin paper pages. Also, the artwork in the book wasn't what a typical children's book looks like; as in, it looks like the cover. Sort of different looking, not bright colors, big shapes, etc. 

However, to my surprise, Emersen sat through the book until the last page, which did have a lot of text. This book is geared toward maybe children over 3 years old. But Emersen really enjoyed the pictures and artwork. And it was interesting how that looked as pieces of a quilt! 

Of course, the story of creation doesn't need any review. It was fun to begin telling Emersen that story. And what better a story to tell a small child than one filled with animals, the sun, water, etc. Those are all favorite things by our tiny friends. 

I'd recommend this book to parents: it's different, it's Biblical, and in the back are instructions on how to have your kids design their own quilt pieces of the Bible stories and make it into a quilt. Call me old fashioned, but you can put your own contemporary spin on the project. 

As I mentioned previously, I am providing a book review for this book in exchange for free books to read via bookcrash.com. But I also enjoy hearing others thoughts on a book before reading it, so hopefully this will open up new type of books for reading to those who read the blog! Happy reading fellow nerds.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the fun review! I wish I truly had a Bible quilt growing up, but this one came purely from my own imagination. I hope people will pick up on the Bible quilt idea and find ways to make them for their families. I'm glad you and Emersen liked The Creation.

    ReplyDelete