background

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Spice of Life


Who doesn't like to be independent? Emersen is certainly trying to find ways to exert her independence on a daily basis. She now wants to get the chair and drag it into the kitchen for every meal or snack. Her "helping" isn't always as helpful as I'm sure she wants to be.


She usually finds some kitchen tool to play around with - measuring cup, plastic spoon, the candy canes in the corner.


She helped set the table for dinner. We usually serve ourselves from the kitchen and bring the plates to the table - less dishes dirtied. She only had to set out spoons and napkins, as it was a Wes-less dinner, so we were having tomato soup with rice.


As much as I don't like to encourage a lot of climbing on her part, because I know it will come back and bite me, it's nice to be able to tell her to go get in her chair. And she does. She hasn't quite mastered her dismount yet.


And just so you don't think she's ALWAYS sweet smiling....here is reality. Who KNOWS what caused her to make this face. She wants what she wants and wants it NOW. She asks us things 100 times. And even when the answer is "yes, in 5 minutes" she keeps asking. It really works my nerves. Mostly because I get frustrated that I can't get her to understand that I'm saying YES to her request. Like tonight I was shredding lettuce for tacos and she wanted to do the salad spinner. But I wasn't ready to spin the salad yet. And she kept asking until it turned into a whine/demand, even though I said "yes, you can help me, but you have to wait, I'll do it later." She understands wait and later, but not at that moment. I can't figure another way to help her understand.

But she is sweet and smiling a lot of the time. I do love random hugs and "mommy, I love you." Or Mama, as it appears to be for her now. She's a regular Georgia peach I suppose. Coupled with her pronunciation of the word church - chuch - she sounds pretty southern. She also told me she was playing hide and sink today too...

No comments:

Post a Comment