background

Monday, January 7, 2013

Songs to Live By


Blessed Assurance - Frances Crosby

  1. Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
    Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
    Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
    Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
    • Refrain:
      This is my story, this is my song,
      Praising my Savior all the day long;
      This is my story, this is my song,
      Praising my Savior all the day long.
  2. Perfect submission, perfect delight,
    Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
    Angels, descending, bring from above
    Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
  3. Perfect submission, all is at rest,
    I in my Savior am happy and blest,
    Watching and waiting, looking above,
    Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.



Listened to this song today. It's always been one of my favorites. It's certainly the first hymn I remember learning and knowing. I used to be in choir, as a kid of course, when we attending Summit Heights UMC. The details are for my on reminiscing. Kid's choir doesn't require much skill, obviously. But, just as much of what you learn as a kid, the lyrics have stuck with me over the years. Today it stuck out to me as well. I was listening to a more recent version of the song by Jadon Lavik on Spotify. 

Many songs hold more power than they should or do at face value. Just the other day at a restaurant, I heard a song that brought back memories of a friend that lives far away. I texted her and got a little down about it as well. This song, fortunately, holds it's power in the lyrics of praise rather than a situation I experienced. This type of song becomes a "classic" for that reason. Whats your favorite worship song? hymn? song you learned as a kid? most memorable song? I know that John Mayer's album that put him on the charts, as well as Ben Folds' Cd Rockin' the Suburbs could be considered soundtracks of my junior year of high school. And the song Hot in Here reminds me of junior prom - I think junior. And Get Low reminds me of freshman year of college, as does Britney Spears' song Toxic.   There are country songs from a CD a boyfriend made me in high school that takes me "back". And same for some Coldplay songs - one almost brought me to tears in the Commons at UK when I was in college. There is a Phil Collins song, of which I don't know the title, that has a hard to understand lyric in it. When Wes and I were starting to date, maybe we weren't dating yet...but he guessed the right lyrics in some argument with a friend. And I always think about how I first heard that song, while driving around at Fayette Mall, and I thought to myself "oh, Wes was right!" Which, by the way, I have to think quite often, as he's often right. 


And finally, I'll probably always have a soft spot in my heart for songs like Jingle Bells, The Drummer Boy (parum-pa-pum-pum, as she calls it), You are My Sunshine because Emersen loves these songs and sings them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment