background

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lent, Spring and Bunnies


I recently came across this video from a personal fave, The Skit Guys (www.skitguys.com). They do funny skit videos on various topics - sometimes they're funny, sometimes they're serious. As we get closer to Easter and are in the Easter season, I sort of wanted to focus on something other than Easter eggs and candy. I've been looking for some Easter decorations that point to the Christian history of the holiday - the reason for this season-and they're hard to come by! But you can get any kind of basket, Easter bunny, eggs, candy, etc. 

And trust me, I love the candy. I remember I used to be AMAZED by the many Easter baskets I received from the bunny himself as well as family members. LOVED it. So much candy and all for me (yeah, great values, eh?). 

And I don't choose the "reason for the season" as my "one issue" or soap box as a Christian. If you're Christian, celebrate the Christian aspect. If you're not a Christian, why would I expect you to celebrate that aspect of it. I maintain the stance that Wes and I take on Valentine's Day - we celebrate our love on a regular basis and don't want/need a specific day on our schedule to recognize it. Same for Christmas and Easter. As a Christian, I hope my life is defined by my love for God, for him sending Jesus to die for my sins, and for the miracle of Jesus raising from the dead 3 days later. I hope I live my life in a way that pleases God, the creator and Jesus, the savior. I don't need a specific day in Spring or Winter to thank God for sending Jesus to earth and raising him from the grave. But, as a Christian, I should be all the more joyful to celebrate that He Is Risen on Easter. As a Christian, we should have one focus and one purpose regardless of the day, and Easter should be no different.

SO - get your bunny on. Get your basket on. Eat your candy. Or don't if you're giving it up for Lent. Take this Easter to set the goal to celebrate our Savior on a regular basis, and make it Easter and/or Christmas every day in some way. And check out the video about The Rabbit and The Resurrection. AND (I'm like the Coke Zero commercial) find a church to go to on Easter to celebrate the joy of the day with others - if you're in Lexington (or surrounding areas), join me at Turning Point Church off Leestown Rd. Our service starts at 10am (every Sunday) and will be a casual environment. We start our new message series on Easter: "Baggage: check it once and for all."

Merry Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment