background

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Doctor's Appointment - shots and drinking

So today I was scheduled for my last monthly appointment - every two weeks going forward. That's exciting, right!?

I did some less exciting things at my appointment today. I had to do the dreaded glucose test of fasting for 12 hours then quickly drinking an orange soda like concoction, waiting an hour and having blood drawn again. While I don't want to judge what is hard and easy for others, I just have to say that all the hype over the drink is just bunk. It was like drinking a kids orange juice/soda drink...yes, it was sweet and I wouldn't order it at a restaurant, but definitely not as big a deal as I was lead to believe it was...

Then, off to the appointment with my doctor to waste some of the waiting time. Awaiting me here was a shot - which I was aware I would need - due to my blood type and the effects of my blood type on baby if baby's blood type is different than mine. I get a shot now, and depending on the baby's blood type at delivery, I may need another to protect subsequent babies. What I was NOT aware of was the location they inject you with this shot - which would be on your behind. Wes got his entertainment for the day seeing me trying to roll over on my side, simultaneously hiking up the skirt I thought was a good idea to wear today and then bear the shot in the muscle. I'll be honest, it hurt worse than I expected (so did getting my finger pricked earlier at the lab - when did that become a big deal?). And I used to get shots in my arm several times a month for allergies - guess I've just gone soft. But, for the good of the baby, it's fine! And it was funny for everyone involved.

Last, we did the routine testing and check-up information with the nurses and doctors. I gained ANOTHER 7 lbs. this month - total at 22 lbs so far. My doctor is very pleased with my weight gain, my condition, etc - tells me I'm his model pregnant lady. I'll take it! We heard our girl's heartbeat again - and Wes heard her soccer kicks from the womb while listening with the stethoscope for the heartbeat. She's fiesty I think. I love her already!

From here on out, we start going every two weeks so I can pee in a cup and get my blood pressure checked, and check her growth and heartbeat. We go to our first childbirth class at my doctor's office next week, for three weeks in a row. And on August 8th we take a tour of the hospital and everything. Exciting things going on!

Wes started putting together the new dresser we ordered last night so pictures will come once that is completed. Can't wait to put some of her clothes in it!

If you see me walking with a limp, it's because I got a shot in my behind and I have an excuse. Additionally, I've been informed by numerous individuals that I'm waddling - thank you for your astute observations, I plan to continue my duck imitations for another 2-3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment