background

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Workin' Girl

Remember "Take Your Daughter To Work Day"? I went with my dad once in elementary school - maybe more, I specifically remember it then because this other girl from my class, Meghana, went too because her dad worked at the same place. Fun times. A little off topic? I wander.


Em had to come with me to the office today. Thank the Lord for employers who love kids! We had a office-ful today at one point. I'll have pictures of that too come. Otherwise how would we have this gate at the office? Note the chewed hole to the left - that's from dogs. Our office is also dog friendly! 

Em was busy today with her toys as you can see. Also, she's STANDING everywhere and all the time. She got herself up to the gate and stood up. Her teensy little problem now is that she doesn't know how to get back down and so she cries. We're working on teaching her to fall down on her bum - she'll do it if you give her one of your hands. Baby steps, ya know? Literally. 


She also exhibited some separation anxiety today that we haven't really seen before. She didn't want to go to my co-workers willingly. She wrapped her little arm completely around mine. And when I still passed her off to my boss, she teared up and had a BIG frown. Pa-the-tic. She got the short end of the stick on a compassionate mommy - sorry dear. Please don't give me any "Just wait" comments on this - I'm not naive enough to think I won't feel bad for her on certain things (gross baby food making her barf - I felt terrible for her on that), but everybody out there might as well accept that on the sentimental scale for kids/developments/growing up I'm low to very low. I'd say I err on the high expectations for her; I'm afraid of baby-ing her too much. I've just been around folks in the past that perish the thought of their little one growing up and end up, in some cases/my opinion, holding them back at times. 

As a person who is NOT a risk taker and plays it safe, I want to take ANY opportunity to push Em towards new things and encourage her to embrace them joyfully. SO, I might hand you my kid randomly so she'll get used to strangers. I also won't say "oh no" when she falls or bumps herself - I say "get over it Emersen"....JUST KIDDING! We usually clap for her or say "nice save" or something and move on. I'm afraid of raising a "T-ball" generation child so there. The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment