background

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

It's Happening Again

 
Well it's October...again. And Emersen Reese just turned TWO! It's simply crazy that it's been two years since that giant baby came into our lives. It's been totally fun and more amazing than I could have imagined. It's also been filled with anxiety and stress - such is life as a parent.  

 
I'm including the pictures from October 19th, Emersen's actual birthday. Our stay included a Starbucks date for Em and Mommy. Then we went to Storytime at the library, which she loves. That evening, she opened presents and we sang to her. Finally, we went out to eat with Granna and GiGi at McAllister's (which is WAY yummy).
 
 
 
We got her an I SPY book of small letters.
 

 
And we got her a game - you roll the squishy dice for a color, then choose a card of that color that has an activity (counting, colors, animal noises, emotions, actions) on it for you to do. She loves it. It's super cute and fun.
 
 
This is Em's newest and extremely annoying habit - hands in her mouth. We can't get her to stop.
 
 
And this is my sweet little girl. Sweetest of the sweet. I just keep telling myself that when she acts like a "normal" two year old. The new habits/two year old behaviors have been a bit stressful. I had a mommy meltdown about two weeks ago. The behaviors were exacerbated by a week home with her sick and then recovering from being sick. It included being inside, in our living room, with the tv on, for the majority of the time. The result was a devil child by the end of the week. This led to me and Emersen in the kitchen crying. And hindsight can allow me to thank God for the rough week because it took me down to the point of complete surrender. I was crying and praying while Emersen cried because I didn't have anything else to give. So she went to bed. I took a shower where shower and tears blended together. Finally, I laid in the hammock and ate my late lunch and read a book. Meanwhile, after a teary phone call to Wes, he recruited his parents to have some Emmy-time that night while we went out to do nothing. The next day I had to be in Louisville for a wedding and 10 hours of intense wedding coordination was just the distraction that I needed. And some sleep in a well made bed (by my mama) and relaxation set me up for good start that Monday. More activities, more quiet time, almost no TV, library time, playing with friends, etc. Someone once talked about how Satan's greatest tool is isolation. And I experienced the effects of isolation and not seeing the big picture. Focusing on how big God is allows a bigger picture view which helps me deal with anxiety.
 
Anyway, that's a lot for one post, but I'm slow at posting these days so I gotta get it all in! I just wanted to share things with people because I know that I often feel weak and not super-mom enough compared to others. But the comparison should always be to God's standards, which we all fall short of but have reconciliation of that when we surrender to Christ. I know the things that worry me or give me anxiety PALE in comparison to what others are going through. I also know that God uses many things and experiences to mold me to be more like Him. Sometimes, I begrudingly accept that fact and other times I relish it.
 
Last but not least - at her two year check up Emersen weighed 31 lbs (91st percentile) and was 36 1/2 inches tall (97th percentile). She's healthy, eh? Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment