background

Friday, February 3, 2012

Stinker and Stinkier


First, I just wanted you to look at this little stinker.

She starts her somersaults and daddy helps finish them. 

Next, I've got to update you on the topic I talked about yesterday. 

Here are the things that stuck out to me:

"The statement left some ambiguity, however, because it did not mention a second reason Komen has given for ending Planned Parenthood’s funding: that the group did not provide direct mammogram services but instead referred patients to other providers. Komen founder Nancy Brinker said the organization wants to support groups that directly provide breast health services, such as mammograms. She noted that Planned Parenthood was providing only mammogram referrals."

"In the wake of the Komen decision, Planned Parenthood saw an outpouring of support, raising $650,000 in the 24 hours after the news broke. Komen came under pressure from legislators, including 26 senators (25 Democrats and one independent) who wrote a letter Thursday calling for the decision to be reversed."

A decision that wasn't supposed to be a political issue became one very quickly. It was supposed to be an act of fiduciary prudence. It seemed like a good one from an objective standpoint, regardless of what organization was losing it's funding. Why would an organization invest money in another organization under investigation to see if fund are being misappropriated. But, Komen has embraced "innocent until proven guilty" and will amend their standards. I haven't heard more about the face that PP doesn't provide mammograms, only referrals. However, it's important for PP supporters to point out that ONLY 3% of services are abortions. My boss tells me sarcasm is a spiritual gift - I'm just exercising it there.

Again, I can't get things to mesh in my head about fighting SO hard for the issue of screening in hopes of saving women's lives - such that a huge sum of money was raised in 24 hours and legislators acted so quickly- and putting that of higher priority or importance than dying babies. Or other social issues for that matter! What about those losing their homes, families, jobs, health care and so forth? And in 24 hours $650,000 was raised as a political statement.  

I was talking to my husband about how I can't even play devil's advocate and figure out the other side's rationale in this situation. His answer was "It's sin. That's what it does, make the wrong seem right." I mean, I can "understand" the Komen Foundation's actions - revising policies, etc. But the root of the situation is this - the massive support to an organization who does provide services to the less fortunate but at the cost of approximately 324,000 babies (2008 statistics on Planned Parenhood's site) should shake us to our core. The deeper issue is that in the same year, a total of 1.21 million abortions were performed in the United States, according to the Guttmacher Institute's research. The deeper issue is that you're hard pressed to find an organization that will stand under the pressure of disagreement and not crumble. A bigger issue is that the more you yell and complain, the more you get your way. I have a toddler and I know any parent would say "that's not the right way to parent." But we expect to get our own way when it's our own behavior. 

So much lately, this song has reverberated with me, especially in the face of situations like these. When things simply seem irrational or illogical or come across like the teacher on Charlie Brown and I can't understand the  "wah wah wah wahs." A coworker asked me yesterday if my God was a little God. Or if he was a big big God. My God is ginormously huge and big. My Savior defeated death and rose again. While I can't handle these situations, He can.


Chorus that I love:

All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong

1 comment:

  1. LOVE. You've said everything I have wanted to say and have only expressed to Chandler.

    ReplyDelete